Anita Arora, IBCLC
As an MBA working in the world of financial services, my thoughts of becoming a lactation consultant were not even on my radar. When my first child was born, I was shocked and discouraged when my own breastfeeding journey was full of struggle. I never knew about lactation consultants and when I finally found one, things got a lot better. In fact, I ended up breastfeeding my son for the next couple of years. When we welcomed our daughter a few years later, my breastfeeding goals were quickly realized and I received some support later on when it came to weaning.
That experience had such an impact on me, I casually started volunteering with breastfeeding mothers. I always knew I wanted to help people, and very quickly it became evident that this was the way. Today, my life is busy as I raise my two kids and support Moms + Babies from newborn to well past the first year.
When it comes to work, here's what keeps me busy on a daily basis:
- As founder of happybaby and as an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), I see clients in the comfort of their own home, and in two private breastfeeding clinics
- I teach breastfeeding education and mentor interns as they work to become IBCLCs
- I offer prenatal breastfeeding sessions (private + group)
- I co-chair the Halton baby friendly initiative
- I facilitate a support group for Moms + Babies
- I work closely with local public health nurses, doulas and midwives